Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Take a Trip Back With Me

All you girls and boys of the 80's, prepare for a trip down memory lane to one of your favorite places when you were growing up. Picture it with me - bright lights flashing in the air, the sweet smells of popcorn, hardwood and mildewy carpets, Chipmunk disco tunes jamming through the air, wind blowing through your hair as you speed around. The call from the DJ announces exciting events such as limbo and couple skate (always a big deal and so romantic, with the Chipmunk songs and all). Know where you are yet?

As soon as we stepped into the skating rink two weeks ago with Lowery for a birthday party, memories of The Skating Palace came roaring back. El Dorado peeps, it was the Skating Palace, right (before it became a hot bed for gang activity)? Anyway, we had SO much fun. I have to admit that I was a little nervous about my 5 year old and skates, recall she did break two bones on a simple cartwheel. It was somewhat painful and she may have suffered a slight concussion, but we sure had a blast. It was hilarious and I think I laughed the entire time we were there. Not sure if it was all of the little kids sprawling like Texas tumbleweeds across the floor, the gutsy Moms who laced up and returned to skating glory or the Chipmunk version of The Climb, but it was a sight to behold. It made me want to buy Lowery her own pair of skates - white ones with pink puff balls on the top and pink stoppers (the ones I never got, thanks a lot Santa) and start the weekly Saturday routine with her. We definitely have some work to do before she's truly ready for her first couple skate under the disco ball, but she made such progress in only two hours while we were there.

Here is the progression:
#1: Grasping the rail in the practice area
#2: Learning with the "walker:
#3: Hanging on to Mom for dear life
#4: Now I got it on my own!















She never got quite up to speed with birthday girl Kaleigh (who rocked some pink Barbie skates by the way), but she is anxious to keep trying. I sure had fun. Steve, who was drenched with sweat from helping Lowery learn and about to divorce me because I blamed him every time she fell, didn't seem to enjoy it near as much as I did. Kidding, he had a blast helping her and we both got great laughs out of the kids. Anyway, couldn't resist sharing our first time on skates. Thanks for a great day, Kaleigh!!

Oh, and Spring Break updates are coming next, including pictures of the nursery. It's 4 in the morning and I'm not thinking straight, I guess that's why I did this update first. Pregnancy and sleepless nights will give me a chance to catch up with blogging, but I can't promise that posts will be in order or make sense!


2 comments:

  1. Oh Santa never brought me the white skates with pink stoppers either. I believe I recieved a pair of red and yellow skates that had to come from the same factory as every Ronald McDonald memorabilia that was ever created.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is a fancy shmancy skating rink! Did you do the Hokey Pokey?? I have fond memories of couples skate and the limbo! I had some super cool red, white, and blue skates and some green knee pads too! It was such a cute ensemble...

    ReplyDelete