Monday, March 8, 2010

An Evening with George W.

Steve and I had an amazing opportunity to attend an event last weekend that will probably top my list of Texas memories during our stay here. The event was a benefit for the Prestonwood Pregnancy Center and the key note speaker was George W. Bush. The pregnancy center is a place that has become very close to my heart since I began volunteering there last fall. I have wanted to do a post about it for a while, but I have hesitated and I'm not sure I can even articulate why. I think it's because it's impacted me in such a way that I find it hard to express the experiences I've had there, and it's so close to my heart that it almost feels private - an odd situation where it changes your life but it's not something you shout from the rooftops but rather savor on the inside in a place deep in your heart. I think what I will say is this: why is it that when you begin helping people in need it opens floodgates on your heart and you begin to feel it's never enough? That what you're doing - although it's more than you ever did before when you were doing nothing - can't possibly make a strong enough impact, can't make a dent in the need that is there? When you sit in your comfortable home, in your comfortable life, you don't have to face the groaning needs of those that are right there by you. Sometimes five feet, sometimes five miles away from you. You go on with your life and focus on what you need to do for your family, which is a full time job in itself. But the minute you open your eyes to the need, to the pain, it becomes overwhelmingly clear that they need so much more. More than one person, more than my one 30 minute experience with them, more than my measly one day of volunteering. I've met women courageous in the face of circumstances I can't dream of in my worst nightmares. I've seen women hanging on by a very thin thread, and our help is the only thing keeping them from dropping off. I've FELT the burden of those women who made a decision to end a baby's life and those who have opted to save it. All I can say is that I want to keep feeling this way - that I need to do more, that I'm failing if I don't. And the center is doing that for me - and I encourage everyone to get involved somehow in your community where needs are being met. We don't have to go around the world to share the love of Christ - there are plenty of those who need it and who live in our own backyards. Find a local crisis pregnancy center and get involved - you won't regret it!

Now, all that said - I did mention a former President, didn't I? This event was amazing because of hearing President Bush speak and also because of all of these people that came together for the pregnancy center. It warmed my heart to hear a man of power encourage me and remind me that I am making a difference, that everyone in this country deserves life, and to see community members give freely of their time and money to make the center a success. The former President was very different than what Steve and I expected. In fact, we weren't sure what we were in for - a Will Farrell skit or a formal speech from the more reserved President side of him. What we got was way different, and we now understand why Texans love him so much. He was so candid, so open, so inspiring and VERY funny. I'm not sure why all of America didn't get to see this side of him during the Presidency, the process of our political machine I guess. But he was amazing - from his open assessment of other world leaders (Putin stories were particularly good), his easy admittance of his own faults (drinking problem and his comment that had he known he would run for President he'd behaved better in college), to his clear passion for everyone's right for freedom, he captivated us and I honestly didn't want it to end. I so much enjoyed hearing him tell of his first thoughts after the news of 9/11 and how he felt, his interests now that the Presidency is over and his future plans - and not have to read a skewed report from the media. After the President spoke and answered some questions, Governor Perry also spoke and Steve and I then realized that we were at an old-fashioned Texas political rally - and we loved being Texans more than ever!

It was an amazing night for something I love and a very interesting leader that I am so thankful I got to see in person. One last thing - if you are someone who prays for our government, please do not stop or let up. One of the things he said that impacted me the most is how desperate he became for prayer. Prayer from strangers, from Americans, from others around the world. That, as a man, he couldn't possibly bear the burden placed on his shoulders with all of his imperfections. But that prayer sustained him, kept him alive and kept him sane. No matter our political viewpoints or our thoughts on who is in the White House, there IS a man living there who makes decisions that affect all of us on a daily basis. Our national, state and local governments need our prayers. They are humans who are imperfect. But our God is not, and He is always truly in control.

So don't buy into Will Farrell and the media's portrayal of this man (yes, I myself have made my share of "strategery" comments). He's much more shrewd, charismatic and charming that you'd ever imagine and deserves a lot more credit than most Americans give him at this point. By the way, sorry I don't have any pictures to share, they weren't allowed (something this pregnant lady is thankful for). MANY thanks to our friends the Chambers for an amazing night. And from someone who works in the center and knows firsthand the real needs that are there and that are being met, thanks to all of you who were a part of that night.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like an awesome experience! There is a really great pregnancy crisis center here called the Hannah Medical Center. We fill baby bottles annually with money to send to them. Maybe I need to look into doing more!!

    btw- Isabel had fun with Lowery this weekend! Lots of "funnies" to share:) I'm sure your parents had some as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This whole post is amazing. I'm SO glad that you are getting to volunteer in what sounds like an amazing place!! And I just LOVE George W....would LOVE to meet him some day. Totally different subject, but I've got a surprise for Elle that I can't wait to give you!!! Talk soon!

    ReplyDelete