Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Okay, so soccer is NOT our thing

Well, the All Clean Sparklers had their first real game yesterday evening.  I guess it would qualify as a real game, although the mercy rule could have been imposed at any time.  The Sparklers were more like the "Crybabies" as almost all of the girls on the team, save a couple, came off the field in tears.  And Lowery was in the lead. . .

She got out there all fired up for the first 3-on-3 set but she was running off the field crying in a matter of minutes.   The other team was bigger, stronger, faster - our girls kicked it a foot and theirs kicked it down the field close to the goal.  We decided there must be a Chinese-gymnast-like conspiracy and demanded to see birth certificates, but to no avail.  I think the official score was something like 40 to 3.  The Cheetah Girls knocked us out.

And Lowery?  Well, she got in there and played twice - and 2 out of the 3 times resulted in a running off the field, crying meltdown.  We left the fields with her screaming in the car and we were all spent by the end of the evening.  We got home, Lowery calmed down and proclaimed that she would not be going back.  She only wanted to "watch" the other girls and drink Gatorade.  She said it was hot, she was sweating and she didn't like that too much.  So much for soccer being good exercise for her.  She said, confidently, "I only want to do gymnastics, dance and school.  Those are my 3 favorite things."  

Well, I was worried about us being too busy - so God (and Lowery) just made it easy on us.  Steve is crushed, this was the one "sport" she was participating in and he watched her soccer dreams crash and burn in an ugly, temper-tantrum filled game.  Her short career was over before it even started, I think.  Yep, the All Clean Sparklers are down one teammate.  It's a sad, sad day. . .

3 comments:

  1. Hey, at least she gave it a try!! Right :)
    Steve, anytime you feel the need to play a little soccer, I am most certain that Mica would play with you... He LOVES the game..
    I think it's great that your little girl knows exactly what she wants and doesn't want, and girls do have the right to change their minds at any given moment.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! That's exactly what I would have done. Lowery and I must have the same opinion about playing sports. WAY easier to sit in the stands and watch! I'm so glad I can keep up with you guys this way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love she only wants to 'watch the others and drink Gatorade.' That's hilarious. At least she's honest!

    ReplyDelete